Saturday, April 6, 2013

It's Official!!

I wanted to update you on how my classes are going now that my classroom is totally flipped. I still have yet to receive one complaint. On Thursday, my classes were so excited to see our new arrangement. Many students left saying aloud, "This was so much fun!" My students are working on poetry as review and normally in my traditional classroom I would go over all the terms aloud. I was able to save my voice and had each team divide up the words, study them, then share their knowledge with each other. Then, their team had to decide if they wanted to read a poem silently or to each other. I then went over the poem with them as we all annotated and analyzed it as a whole class. Then, they had to use their Poetry Notebook, the poem, and each other to answer the questions. This was the "test" to see how they were able to work with one another, to see if they stayed on task, and to observe the noise level. All I can say is, "Wow!" It was a beautiful sight, and this was the first official day (the last two weeks were just a trial run) for me to actually "let go". They guided each other, taught each other, explained their reasoning if one didn't understand, everyone got along, and the noise level was at a level 1-2. I didn't have to calm my class of 31 once! (I had to redirect one class a little, but each class will be different.) Today was day 2 and I spoke for about 20 minutes. The rest of the time my students continued with working through their activities together. Some worked alone while some leaned on each other. I perused around and facilitated and guided the whole group or one on one. They are using the "Ask 3 then me", which is helping so much.

My students love the SAP (Student Action Plan-Students' weekly planner) and it signifies to them that they are taking ACTION for their own learning. They know what this means. This coming week is another "test". We've completed 3 SAP's and they will be completed this coming week's on their own...no guidance on how to read it or manage it. I noticed this week that many kids would ask me a question and the answer was on their SAP. So, when I told them to read it, they made an excuse. I didn't budge, I made them read it and told their team not to answer for them. This is something I will train my new kids very early next school year.

I created an acronym called CNQR (conquer) for when they view my instructional videos. Below is an explanation I shared with the kids. I am creating huge colored posters soon for my classroom.

You MUST conquer your goals and objectives in ELAR.

C = CONNECT- You will make connections in learning different concepts while viewing the instructional videos. You will also make connections while you are Thinking, Writing, Interacting with each other, Reading, Listening and Speaking to one another. TWIRLS (This applies to everything we do in class, not just at home).

N = NOTES- You will be taking notes while you are home viewing my instructional videos. You will also need to write down my examples so that you may use these examples as well as my notes when you are collaborating with your classmates in class during discussions or while practicing some sample questions with your teams.

Q = QUESTION – You must create a HOT (Higher Order Thinking) question right after you watch a concept video. You will learn how to create literal, interpretive, evaluative, and universal questions. This will allow me to see if you understood the material or if you still have confusion. You are welcome to create a question you already know the answer to, and if you do, answer your own question. If you do not know the answer, then use the question to challenge the class during our discussion at the beginning of class.

R = REVIEW – Review your notes and HOT question before returning to class. I don't want you to watch a video and just mindlessly write words down without attempting to CONNECT with what you watched or had written. It is completely okay if you do not feel that you have mastered understanding the material the first time through. If this is the case, this is where I will facilitate your learning or invite you to an intervention when you arrive to class the next day. If you take the time and review your notes, then you will feel confident and more prepared when you return to class making sure everything you had written down or asked (questions) are complete.

Issuing Pink Slips are working out well. Some kids are on their 2nd one. Many are figuring out they need to step up. (Reminder: If they receive 3, they will receive a silent lunch detention in my room to catch up on videos and a private discussion as to why they are falling behind).

I am presenting my videos AND embedding my Google Forms to the video onwww.sophia.org. My students will be trained on Monday how to sign up and begin viewing my 3 new videos for the week. Plus, they have another online test to take (again...going paperless!). My kids are now trained to check out my calendar. My district's Tech Dept. spent a combined 45 minutes or so helping me get my document camera set up to use to record and have audio in order to create lessons online! I know! It's so much easier and faster! I was able to complete 3 lessons in less than an hour, upload them to my thumbdrive in seconds and leave!

I was nervous on the first one video with using my document camera...had to redo one of them because the janitor came in while I was recording (I locked my door and he proceeded to use his keys and come in anyway...oh well...it was good practice...plan to make a sign and put on my door that I am recording...he was cool with the idea). ; )

I'm winging it right now. Every day is so different, which I love! The kids leave happy, and so do I!

No comments:

Post a Comment